February 07, 2023
For many people, snow days aren’t nearly sizzling cocoa by the fireside. Whether or not you ski, snowboard, skate and even sled, winter sports activities have arrived – and with them, an elevated threat of harm. The truth is, winter sports activities comparable to snowboarding and snowboarding are answerable for practically 200,000 accidents per yr, in line with the US Shopper Merchandise Security Fee. “Orthopedic, bone and joint accidents can happen even beneath the most effective circumstances,” notes John Irving, MD, co-director of Connecticut Orthopedic Institute at Saint Vincent’s Medical Middle in Bridgeport and an orthopedic surgeon at Connecticut Orthopedic Institute at Midstate Medical Middle in Meriden .
> Nervous about your hip or knee well being? Take this well being threat evaluation
Widespread accidents on the mountain
Skiers and snowboarders can encounter a variety of accidents affecting a number of components of the physique, together with:
- Knee accidents, together with ACL and meniscus tears
- Shoulder fracture or dislocation
- Skier’s thumb, which is an acute harm to a ligament of the thumb. Usually seen amongst skiers who fall with the ski pole nonetheless in hand.
- Low again ache
> Need extra well being information? Textual content StartHere to 85209 to join textual content alerts
What to do whenever you’re injured
Not all of those accidents require surgical procedure. Some could merely contain relaxation, bodily remedy, bracing or casts. However step one, regardless of the harm, is to see a physician. “You will need to be evaluated by orthopedic specialists as quickly as doable to diagnose the diploma of any harm,” Dr. Irving explains. “Trauma and reconstructive surgical methods proceed to evolve that can assist you get well safely, quickly and considerably from accidents. As well as, our bodily remedy colleagues are an important that can assist you maximize your return to perform and power after an harm.”
Ideas for staying injury-free
Even on the slopes, it is doable to make it by way of the winter sports activities season injury-free when you comply with a number of easy ideas, Dr. Irving says.
- Be ready. Bodily preparation is essential. Strengthen your muscle groups and do cardiovascular exercises.
- Heat up and stretch earlier than hitting the slopes.
- Spend money on properequipment that is applicable in your physique and talent degree, together with security gear like a helmet.
- Cease instantly when you do fall and suspect you could be damage.